Amazon has not launched any LEO Broadband Satellites like SpaceX, OneWeb and Telesat but they already have a ground station network for controlling satellites, uploading and downloading data. Andy Jassy, CEO of Amazon Web Services, announces its availability in the video below:
The AWS Ground Station Network is a fully managed, ready-to-go ground station service, featuring:
- No upfront cost.
- Scaleability — you only pay for antenna time.
- No long-term contract.
- Self-service scheduling on a per-minute basis, that can be changed dynamically using their ground station console.
- Secure transmission.
- Low latency due to proximity to Amazon data centers.
- Integration with EC2, S3 and other Amazon services and Amazon’s global network backbone.
- Simultaneous up/download.
- Support of most common communication frequencies.
The open question is will SpaceX, OneWeb and Telesat use this service?